Focuster + Zapier: all your priorities in one place
A complete guide to Focuster and Zapier integration
Jordan Baker, Founder – Focuster
25 April 2017
Have you ever wished that you could bring the power of Focuster as your dedicated scheduling assistant to your favorite apps? With Zapier you can connect Focuster to more than 750 apps and create a unique workflow that perfectly fits your needs.
What is Zapier?
Zapier is a tool that allows you to connect apps you use every day to automate tasks and save time. You don’t need any technical skills to start using it – the interface is really simple and user-friendly.
You can choose any of the 750+ apps and integrate them. You integrations will be set up via Zaps which perform automation for you. So, basically, Zap is a link between your apps on Zapier.
What can I do with Zapier and Focuster?
Some examples of what’s possible with Focuster and Zapier integration:
- create daily, weekly and monthly recurring actions;
- add actions to Focuster from note-taking apps;
- create actions from your e-mail and communication apps;
- extract personal tasks from team project tools and set them up as actions in Focuster.
To help you get started we’ve built 10 integrations for the most popular apps including Gmail, Evernote, Trello, and Slack. You can check them here.
How to get started with Focuster on Zapier
The first thing you’ll need to do to get started is to connect your Focuster account to Zapier.
When creating a Focuster Zap, you will be prompted to add your Account:
You would then be prompted to allow Zapier access to your Focuster account by entering the API Key:
You can find your API key on the Focuster Settings page:
After Focuster account has been added, you can name it.
Note: This name is only for identifying the account inside Zapier.
Now, your Focuster account is linked to your Zapier account, and you can proceed in creating your Zaps.
Using a Zap
If you’d like you can use one of existing Zaps that we created. Here’s a short video that explains how to use them: https://www.youtube.com/embed/n9zRyNBEiIQ?rel=0
Creating your own Zap
Also, it’s easy to create your own Zap.
Let’s say, you are using Lucid Meetings to organize your meetings. You’d like it to connect to Focuster so your follow-up tasks will show up in Focuster and never get lost in the shuffle once the meeting ends.
Before starting, let’s take a screenshot of our Lucid Meetings page with the action item:
- Go to your Zapier account.
- Click on the “Make a Zap” button on the top of the Explore page.
- From here you’ll be redirected to the Zap creation page.
- Choose the first app that will have a trigger action. In our case, it is Lucid Meetings.
- Choose a trigger action – New Action Item.
- If your Lucid Meetings account wasn’t connected to Zapier, you’ll have to do it now. Click “Connect a new account” button.
- You’ll be redirected to the connection page where you’re required to fill in the subdomain and API fields:
Follow instructions on the Lucid Meetings website:
- Click on your ‘Account’ link in the top navigation
- Click the ‘Authorize applications’ button
- Click the ‘Create token’ button in the Zapier integration box
- Click the ‘Save token’ button to create your token
- Click the ‘Show API Token’ link to view and copy your API token
Copy and insert your API key into the field.
Don’t forget to test your connection.
Fill in the following fields:
- Title: choose the title from the drop-down menu. “Description” should work great.
- Note: you can choose from the drop-down menu the information that can be displayed as a note to your action in Focuster. For example, “Assignee”.
- List: the Action Item can be added to your Todo or Today list. Let’s choose Today.
- Due date: if you have set up any in Lucid Meetings, it can be displayed in Focuster.
- Position: you can choose the priority of tasks from Lucid Meetings by default. You can add them to the top of the list like the most important, or to the bottom. Let’s choose top here.
Congratulations! Your Zap is successfully created! As soon as you add a new Action Item in your Lucid Meetings account, it will be automatically added to the Focuster list you chose. You can adjust your Zap: for example, change list, title or note sources.
Wondering if your favorite tools integrate with Focuster? Drop us a line on Twitter.
February 2020 Product Updates
Here are some improvements and fixes we made to Focuster in the past month:🔧 Work hours in Settings: More intelligent selection of your work hours so you only see the choices that make sense. 🔧Auto-splitting + time...
Focuster Product Update. June 2018 More calendars, Trello integration, recurring actions and more Jordan Baker, Founder - Focuster 13 June 2018 We always take your feedback seriously and develop the product keeping it in mind, too. So, for the last couple months,...
Podcast: How to Become Better at Managing Your Time Jordan Baker, Founder - Focuster 7 August 2017 Just last week I was interviewed on Tom Morkes’ In the Trenches Podcast on the topic of “How to Become Better at Managing Your Time”. In this broadcast you’ll learn:...
Product updates: better focus and improved scheduling Discover new features that will keep you focused and save time on data entry Alina Filatova 28 June 2017 Hide your Todo list for better focus Sometimes your long Todo list with all of your plans, ideas and multiple...
5 Practical, Easy to Implement, and Science-Based Productivity Tips You Can Start Using Today Nils Salzgeber, lifestyle coach and co-founder of njlifehacks.com 13 June 2017 There are thousands of productivity tips promising to help you increase your performance and...
Due Date Updates Major updates to make sure that due items don’t fall through the cracks. Alina Filatova 31 May 2017 Auto Scheduling for Actions With Due Dates Due dates won’t slip through the cracks anymore. All actions with a due date will automatically appear in...
Planning With Focuster: 3 Updates to Boost Your Productivity Alina Filatova 30 April 2017 Planning is a crucial part to get things done. Especially - get done what’s more important. We’re happy to introduce new ways to save time on planning with Focuster and hope...
5 Ways to Get More from Your Todo List Jordan Baker, Founder - Focuster 21 February 2017 Almost every professional and entrepreneur we know uses tons of apps to organize their days: at least couple of them to communicate with clients and teams; one or two to plan and...
Multiple Lists: from chaos to clarity in your todo list Learn how to create a perfect todo list to make sure you'll get done your most important things. Jordan Baker, Founder - Focuster 14 February 2017 If you’re like most professionals I know, trying to balance all...
New in Focuster: Pin Actions Anywhere Jordan Baker, Founder - Focuster 5 February 2017 Even with smart automatic scheduling, sometimes you’d like to manually adjust your actions to start at a specific time. Focuster’s pinning feature allows you to set up a start time...
Self-Care Secrets for Freelancer Superheroes Jordan Baker, Founder - Focuster 3 February 2017 For freelancers and entrepreneurs, taking care of business is top-of-mind every day. But how much attention do you give to taking care of yourself? Increasing self-awareness...
Start moving the needle on your day now.
"If you talk about it, it’s a dream, if you envision it, it’s possible, but if you schedule it, it’s real."